Ever wondered which types of drug testing program is right for your Georgia business? Georgia On-Site Labs offers all three types of drug screens throughout Georgia.
Employers across the state of Georgia and elsewhere in the country, continue to do drug testing which tests for the five most commonly abused categories of drugs including prescription drugs and marijuana. If an employee tests positive on a drug test, it is up to the employer to deal with the problem. The employer has the right to immediately fire the employee or to warn the employee that breaking the company’s drug free policy will not be tolerated. In this case, the employee may be tested again at a later date. It is a second chance for the worker to provide a urine sample free from the evidence of marijuana use. In states where medical marijuana is legal, employees are usually treated the same as a worker who is using marijuana illegally. Even with a medical recommendation from a physician, employees can be fired.
What types of drug testing should you utilize?
Did you know that there are three different types of drug screening? Here are some basic facts about the three different kinds.
Urine Tests, Hair Analysis tests and Blood tests.
A Urine Drug Test
…is by far the most common type of drug testing. Marijuana has been known to stay in one’s system for days or even weeks in high enough amounts to produce a positive urinalysis. The interesting thing here is that a positive drug test may therefore mean that the person is not under the influence of marijuana currently, and hasn’t been under it for days.
• It is the least expensive method of drug screening
• Is considered an intrusive method
• For accuracy, lab verification is required
• Can detect use primarily within the last week or longer with regular use
• Can be affected by abstaining from use for a period of time before testing for drugs
• Is temperature tested to insure integrity
• Is considered un-intrusive
• Can detect substance abuse over a longer period of time
• Does not usually detect drugs within the past week
• Requires a hair sample of the diameter of a pencil and 1 ½ inches long
• Test positive more than twice as often as a urine drug test
• Is not significantly affected by brief periods of abstinence from drugs
• Can sometimes be used to determine when use occurred and if it has been discontinued
• Is the most expensive method of drug testing
• Is considered the most intrusive method of testing
• Is the most accurate method of testing
• But is the least common method of testing
If you have a business in Georgia be sure to call Georgia On-Site Lab Testing to set up your drug testing program today! We come to you! That makes your drug testing program very convenient. Let us help you decide which types of drug testing is right for your business.